Saturday, July 27, 2013

Recap...

AK to Japan

And so it begins... 

Then last few days have been weepy.  The realization that these were my last moments with my first Air Force family, the last breaths of the beautiful, cool Alaskan summer air, the last bit of (in)sanity after being without our household goods for over a month already... Perhaps it all added to the invisible stress, but at the last minute we realized we didn't have Tink's health certificate for the commercial airline!   I was terrified i wouldnt be able to take our beloved adopted family member!  I mulled over any options, and possibilities...  Every worst outcome was all i could think of.  I immediately shared my problem with anyone who would listen, hoping for an answer of clarity in the midst of my (temporary) insanity!  my poor neighbors were the first guinea pigs in this experiment...  These great neighbors made a suggestion to go to a Saturday vet clinic, so I made the phone call and all the necessary preparations.  Whew! bWe were 'safe.'  We had a fallback plan, right?

   The next morning we made the last minute organizations in our luggage and guess what we came across?  The health certificate.  Call vet, cancel appt, check. Check blood pressure.

We loaded up the cars, completed the housing checkout, and left this base for the last time.  Ever!  Alaska has grown on me.  In me.  My own biorhythms are in sync with the constant changes and schizophrenic weather of AK.  I expect it, I crave it, I need it.  

Now we move on to the next chapter, a foreign chapter.  Japan.  I never could have foreseen this!  I can't even explain how I feel.  I was prepared and excited, which turned into exhausted and anxious, and then turned to sad and nauseous and even a little scared!  Pretty normal for a foreign country, right?  
    
Philippians 1:6 I am certain that God, who began the good work in you, will be faithful to complete it. 
He opened the door for us to travel here, I am certain 

My patriot express experience...
Such a large airplane I couldn't see outside where we were going, but every turn felt like a barrel roll.  Vertigo?  Cabin fever?  It was a large, spacious set up with extra leg room.... But I was blind!!  

And cold!

And so tired From traipsing through SeaTac after (and before) hours!  I had 3 breakfasts today.... 2 in the airport and 1 on the plane. The time change wasn't clear, wherever I was!

Plane food = Cafeteria food. French toasticks 

Finally fell asleep... Not sure what time it is!  Dark in cabin, super bright when someone opens a shade!  I rely on my iPhone.... 1530 in Alaska.... Still not ready to think about the time change every time I look at the clock!  Thank goodness for the world clock on the iPhone!!

We landed and were immediately bearded into the jmc and filled out customs forms!  I got my very first stamp in my passport!  (Oh, it was my military passport, so Uncle Sam gets to keep it, not me). Finally we were greeted by friends!!!  

Today (the rest of the week was a blur... I do remember leaving tink at the kennel, eating too many meals at the BX, going out for sushi, taking a bus tour that included the fish market, a grocery store/mall, and the train station...) we went to the big Buddha in Aomori and drove around the coast.  It is beautiful!!!

I love that we are here and have this opportunity to travel and sightsee and LEARN!  I started a new book called 'confuscious: what living in the east teaches us about living in the west.' Or something like that!  I can't wait to finish and share what the book has taught me!
  

1 comment:

shaybert said...

...and? ...to be continued? Or did you just fall asleep? Can't wait to read your next installment.